Updated: Mar 11, 2020
The best way to protect yourself is avoid being exposed to the virus. The CDC always recommends simple everyday preventative steps to help prevent the spread of respiratory virus, including:.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
• Stay home when you are sick
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
As with all infectious diseases, good hygiene can play a role in controlling its spread. However, the most important public health recommendation is that people report to the nearest health facility if they develop any symptoms indicative of Coronavirus. Call the office of your health care provider before you go and tell them about your travel and your symptoms. They will give you instructions on how to get care without exposing other people to your illness.